27 August 2012

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrinnng!

(The title of this post is supposed to be a school bell ringing)

So. Here I am at SUU's beautiful Sherratt Library. Sitting in the computer lab. And it's the first day of the semester. I remember when I was a child and school shopping was a huge event. I would get new clothes, a pencil box, crayons, markers, colored pencils, a backpack, shoes, and number two pencils. Still in college, people love going school shopping to get the hottest new trends off the rack to look their best on the first day of school.

As I look around, I can see that some people are really concerned particular about their appearance. I can smell the newness of their shoes and see the unworn, store-freshness of their apparel. I have seen some that are trying too hard. Eye makeup in large quantities seems to be trending right now because it is everywhere. And, in my eyes, it is not an attractive look.

How am I doing on the fashion scene?

Erm.... I'm wearing jeans, a button-up shirt, tennis shoes. In other words, I'm wearing what I always wear (sans the jeans... I wish I was wearing shorts. It's rather warm). I just think it's interesting how my perspective on first impressions has evolved over the years. Yes, people as a whole (including myself) make primary judgements on others based solely on appearance. But today I'm wearing something that can't be bought at a store: a smile, a kind temperament, and an outgoing demeanor.

A smile is the best makeup any girl can wear.
-Marilyn Monroe

I'm going to modify that quote a little: A smile is the best accessory anyone can wear. 

Because you're never fully dressed without a smile and you'd best not leave your house without all your clothes on (that's from Annie).

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I make my kids wear the same summer clothes to the first few days of school. Mean mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now on the other end of "school shopping," and I very much dislike it. And not just because of the money that is spent. We'll leave it at that! ;o) I'm going to have Lexi read this... especially about the smile and the happy demeanor!

    ReplyDelete